Friday, September 4, 2009

Borderlands


This has been an interesting week for me. Pasha, and I are doing our research presentation on Saturday regarding the "borders" that exist (real and imagined) between the United States and Mexico. I have read, re-read, and read again Pat Mora's poem, "LaMigra". I find it intriguing and disturbing. As I mentioned to Pasha, I feel that Part I of the poem is pretty clearly defined - the border patrol demands obedience, and there is a large price to pay if their demands are not met. It seems clear-cut, and very troubling. The female part, Part II, is a little more detailed, and demanding in its own right. It seems to me that the female in Part II is taunting the border patrol, not only with her femininity, but with her ability to know the land and her abilities as well. Frankly, she seems to make the border patrolman appear as a big, pathetic dolt.

It was a pleasure to read Gloria Anzaldua's writing from Borderlands La Frontera. Not only was it extremely well written and interesting, but it was fun to translate as well. I absolutely agree with Ms. Anzaldua's concept of una raza mestiza, and very much hope that she is correct that "En unas pocas centurias, (in a few centuries) the future will belong to the mestiza." This is a real hope of mine - that race and class will someday be a non-issue. I know that it won't happen in my lifetime, and probably not even in my grandchildrens' lives, but maybe someday...

I really enjoyed Anzaldua's use of metaphors in this piece, especially when she speaks of borders. In follow up to this week's reading, I have done a little research on Mexican women, and in particular, Mexican women who live in border towns. Of particular interest is information on the "femicide" that continues to go on in the border area of Ciudad Juarez, Mexico. For additional information on this dire situation, please follow this link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=104981339&sc=emaf

This situation in Juarez certainly gives little hope to Anzaldua’s belief in the long struggle that will bring us to the end of rape, violence and war. In August 2009 alone, there were over 300 murders (USBorderWatch.com 9/2/09), and authorities expect the total murders for 2009 to exceed the 1623 in Juarez in 2008. Juarez and El Paso, Texas share the same border, and Juarez has a population of 1.5 million people, mainly because of the export factories resulting from the NAFTA pact between the U.S. and Mexico. These factories are also known as “maquilas”.

According to Mike Davis’ MAGICAL URBANISM Latinos Reinvent the US City, in discussing these border-town maquilas, he indicates that El Paso/Juarez has 1.5 million residents, and Tijuana/San Diego has 4.3 people. If that is the case, and assuming that both areas have the same “opportunities” (maquilas), then why is Juarez this hotbed of gang-related crime and femicide? Why isn’t it the same in Tijuana?

I very much enjoyed reading Mike Davis’ MAGICAL URBANISM Latinos Reinvent the US City. As a late (1953) baby-boomer, it is almost inconceivable to me that the United States will soon be a country where the Anglos will no longer be the largest population. Because of my age, I have had to adjust my thinking and have no problem with being a minority. In fact, chances are that I may never see that happen. However, if I do live that long, I will embrace the diversity that has become (will become) the United States. By that time, our country will have stepped up to the plate and most folks will be willing to admit that this country was never really ours to begin with, and that if we share it with others, then it we will be richer for it.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Lou,

    I'm glad you picked up on AnzaldĂșa's metaphorical use of "borderlands" in her piece. I think her real point is that the physical border between the U.S. and Mexico is just arbitrary--it's just a line we've decided to put there--and as a result, all of these other borders and walls have gone up. There are many families in the Southwest who are still split by this border; the grandchildren live on the Texas side, for example, and the grandparents on the Mexico side.

    It's especially heartbreaking in El Paso/Juarez, as you point out. There's a great film by Lordes Portillo about the femicides called "Senorita Extraviada" (Missing Woman). Bring tissues, though.

    Sadly,
    Dr. K.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First off I would like to say what a great job you and pasha did on your presentation! Not just because it's such a hot topic but because you had some really great things to point out and questions for us to ponder. Now I'm nervous about mine, haha wise choice going first to get it done!
    "En unas pocas centurias" I suppose I'm one of those people who don't think about such things often, life is crazy enough without wondering about racial issues in the future. This class really opens up a whole new train of thought for me though, I love reading people's different opinions. I'm not sure where I stand on these issues though, it's such a difficult topic to take a side on. I'd like to say that I'm simply staying open minded. I do however completely agree with you in hoping that race and class will someday not be an issue, but also sadly that none of us will live to see it. Your last paragraph added up to the perfect closing statement, it sounds like it could be a famous quote!
    Well once again, awesome job on your presentation and on totally mastering this blogging thing, see you Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Christina. You are so sweet! I agree that this class is just amazing in that it really forces us to think about things that we have never thought about before. Thanks again for your kind words. See you Saturday morning - bright and early. Thank heavens Dr. K brings coffee!

    ReplyDelete